Saturday, January 3, 2009

Gardening Can Be Fun And Soothing

Paul's Version of Planting

For my whole life I've loved being in the garden. When I was a small child I would spend countless hours in the dirt with my grandmother planting everything from cucumbers to corn. Every summer I would spend all my days on my grandparents farm. I was really given two choices, work in the garden or study my spelling. It was simple in my mind because I loved being outside in the garden and didn't like school at all.

That's how I came to be where I am, taking whatever time I can to be with my plants, but now it's at my own house instead of the farm. This year I decided that I'd mix up the vegetables I planted. I stared with corn, then cauliflower, and finally cucumber. That was the easy part. The plants needed water almost every day because the sun was shining and it was always hot and dry. I also had to get my husband to cut down a tree that was cutting off the sunshine. Really it was a lot of work for a small amount of veggies.

Weeding is my least favorite part of gardening. This year I didn't have as many problems because I chose to go out and garden shovels for sale. Being down on my knees all summer is just unpleasant. In the coming years I think I might get someone to come to my house and weed my garden once a week. Now all I have left to do is convince the hubby, he's cheap.

The right tools for the job make all the difference, and that's why I don't know why more people don't buy gardening tools. If it were up to me there would be no room left in my garage because I'd have a tool for every little thing. Gardening is geat, but having the proper tools for the job makes it way more fun. Next time you are thinking of getting down and dirty, grab the right tool for the job and have fun!

No comments: